As of 10/05/2020 Canyon County Recorder’s & Passports office is switching to accepting passport applications by appointments only. If you have life-or-death emergency, please contact the Passport facility customer service number 1-877-487-2778

DISCLAIMER: Canyon County does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on third-party websites.  For accurate and complete passport information, please refer to the information below or click here.

PROCESSING TIMES do not include mailing times. Canyon County Recorder & Passports is an acceptance facility; Canyon County does not make passports.

  • Routine processing for passport is up to 6 weeks.
  • Expedited service can take up to 3 weeks additional $60.00 for each applicant (Check or Money Order only).  Expediting does not shorten the mailing time.
  • If you want to expedite mailing time you will need to pay additional fees. See fees for the rush on mailing.
  • For Life-or-death emergency appointments or urgent travel (non-emergency) the Passport Agencies/ Facilities are open by appointment only. To make a life-or-death emergency or urgent travel (non-emergency) appointments click here.
Items Needed

APPLICATION: Each person applying needs an application. To get to forms please click here.

  • Form DS-11: for applicants applying for a first time, children, or you don’t meet the requirements to renew your passport.
  • Form DS-82: for applicants who meet the qualifications of renewal

Renew Passport
Click image to enlarge.

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: Your evidence must be an original, physical copy. All proof of citizenship will be mailed with the application. Your proof of citizenship will be returned to the address indicated on the application; however, it may take up to 8 weeks after you receive your passport to be returned.

  • State certified Birth Certificate from the state where you were born. (Hospital birth certificates or birth abstracts are not acceptable.).
  • Birth Abroad Certificate or
  • Fully validity, undamaged U.S. Passport (expired, valid for 10 year for adults and 5 years for minors) or
  • Naturalization certificate or
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Children must provide a copy of birth certificate along with an expired U.S. passport.

PASSPORT PHOTOS: Please provide a color passport photo. Our facility doesn’t take photos.

Photo Requirements/tips:

  • Color photo
  • Photo Size 2-inch x 2-inch
  • Face size no less than 1 inch or more than 1 3/8th (bottom of chin to top of your head)
  • Taken within the last six months.
  • Be a clear front view, full face
  • School photos, snapshots, or pictures taken in a picture booths are not acceptable.
  • Photographs must have a plain white or off-white background without shadows, texture or lines.
  • Do not wear camouflage or white shirts, hats, hair bows or glasses.

Photo Tips
Click image to enlarge.

EVIDENCE OF IDENTITY: A valid government ID is required for evidence of your identity. Parent’s ID is used for minors.

  • Driver’s License.
  • State Identification
  • Current valid foreign passport
  • Valid, undamaged US Passport book or Card
  • Mexican Consular ID
  • US Permanent Resident Card
  • Government Employee ID

***Recommend to bring secondary ID such as: School ID, Work ID, Insurance card, Medical cards, Hunting & Fishing licenses, Car registration, Library card, Membership card with your name on it***

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER: Everyone, including children, will need to have their social security number ready and available when applying for a passport.

FOR MINOR PASSPORT APPLICATION (Under the age of 16): All parents or guardians must appear using the DS-11 application for a minor child under the age of 16. Children’s passports cannot be renewed. Passport issued out to children under the age of 16 are only valid for 5 years. For more info about minor’s passport click here


****Keep payment for application fee and execution fee separate. ****
Make application fee payable to U.S. Department of State. Make execution fee payable to Canyon County Recorder
Canyon County Recorder does NOT accept debit cards or credit cards.  Personal checks ARE accepted


111 N 11th Ave SUITE 330 Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7555
F 208-454-6689



Weekdays 8am – 4pm
(excluding holidays)