Marriage License


No appointment necessary. Recorder & Passport office located in the Administration building, hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. recommended to get here no later than 4:45 p.m.

To obtain a Marriage License in Canyon County Recorder office (age 18 & older) Idaho Code 32-403:

  • Both parties must appear together
  • Each party must know their Social Security Number: If either applicant does not have a Social Security Number, you will need to obtain a letter from the Social Security office before applying for your marriage license. Please call the Recorder & Passport office
    at (208) 454-7555,  if you have questions.
  • Cost of Marriage License – $28.00 cash only
  • Each party present an government ID (examples: Passport, Driver’s License, State ID)
  • Blood tests are not required. Effective July 1, 2019, the county will no longer be providing the educational pamphlet regarding Aids (per Senate Bill No. 1055, Idaho Code 32-412A)

Additional regulation for parties 16 or 17 years of age.

  • Effective July 1, 2020, to any couples who are 16 or 17 year old, the age gap must be under three (3) years age difference. Idaho code 32-202
  • Original birth certificate or a certified copy from the 16 or 17 year old
  • Must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (Idaho code 32-202)
  • Parent or legal guardian must complete:

*Please Note: Effective July 1, 2019 applicants 15 years of age and under will not be issued a marriage license* – Idaho code 32-202

After you have obtained the marriage license, the next step is to find a person to legally perform the ceremony. Check this link for guidance on who may conduct a marriage ceremony.

To get married in courthouse:

  • Please go to the 2nd floor, Room 201 from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • No appointment necessary. However will depend on a Judge’s availability.
  • Have a Marriage license.
  • Both be present.
  • $25.00in cash to be paid to the Judge.
  • Witnesses are not required.

To obtain a certified copy of the marriage license from Canyon County:

Please mail in a request. On the request include these items:

  • List the date of marriage.
  • List the full names of the couple (list the name you had before marriage).
  • A phone number, email or another form of contact.
  • The appropriate fees. To find the appropriate fees please contact the Canyon County Recorder & Passport office at (208) 454-7555.
  • A return envelope with your address.

Or pick-up a certified copy at the Canyon County Recorder’s & Passport Office. Address is Canyon County Administration Building, 111 North 11th Ave, Suite 330 (3rd floor), Caldwell, Idaho 83605.

Are marriage ceremonies performed at the Canyon County Courthouse? Yes. The judges are available to marry couples Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  It is a first come first serve basis. Please call ahead during the holiday season as their times may differ. The cost is $25.00. Exact cash is required. You may have up to 100 witnesses If you have any other questions regarding the judges availability beyond the hours above, please call 454-7365, 454-6612, 454-7512 or 454-6889.

Can I be married with an Idaho Marriage License in another state? No, an Idaho State Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license? No, however, with an Idaho State Marriage License, you must get married in Idaho.

Do you accept credit & debit cards? No, we accept cash only. There is an ATM in the Courthouse.

Is an Idaho Marriage recognized in other states? Yes.

Is my last name automatically changed after the ceremony? No, you must present a certified copy of the Marriage License to the: – Social Security Office external – Sheriff’s Driver’s License

Is there a waiting period before using the license? No, you may get married (the same day) immediately after obtaining your marriage license.

When we receive the Marriage License, are we married? No, an authorized clergy member, judge or other designated official, i.e. mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony. Marriage Solemnization Chart pdf

When will the Marriage License expire? There is no expiration date on the license.  If a completed original is not returned within a year, please contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics external at (208)334-5988.

Who is authorized to solemnize a marriage ceremony in Idaho? (Marriage Solemnization Chart) The Bureau of Vital Statistics requires (in order to record the license) that the officiant be authorized under Idaho Code Section 32-303.  Authorized officiants must be from Idaho; the only exceptions being: – Any federal judge – Retired Idaho governor – Priest or minister of the gospel of any denomination


111 N 11th Ave SUITE 330
Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7555
F 208-454-6689



Weekdays 8am – 5pm
(excluding holidays)