Victim Witness ProgramPROSECUTING ATTORNEY
Canyon County is acutely aware of the negative impact crime has on families, individuals, and the community as a whole. Most citizens are not exposed to the criminal justice system until they become a victim of crime. Our office understands that this may be the most difficult time for a person to learn about the complex criminal justice process. The primary objective of the Victim-Witness Unit is to provide victims and witnesses with easy access to information about their cases and provide them with the support and services throughout the prosecution. These services are available to help victims’ cope with the trauma and aftermath of the victimization and to lessen the inconveniences often associated with participation in the criminal justice process. We want to help alleviate any difficulties you may have during your journey through the criminal justice system. It is only through your cooperation that offenders can be brought to justice.
Our web site is designed to help provide a better understanding of the criminal justice system, provide you with a flow chart of the felony process , a flow chart of the misdemeanor process and assist you with common questions that often surface when you are a victim of crime. We have included a description of your rights, under Idaho Constitution, Art. 1, sec. 22. To help reduce the trauma and suffering following the crime, we offer a wide variety of support services to victims. We hope that you find this website informative and helpful. Your interests are important to us. It is normal to have questions and we are here to help answer yours.
Crime Victim Survey:
We need your help in evaluating our services to the citizens of Canyon County. Please take a few moments to complete a survey about your contact with our office. Please return the completed form to email@example.com, by using the Submit by Email button at the top of the survey document, or by printing and delivering it to our office. Thank you for your help as we try to improve the quality of our services to the citizens of our community.
Medical Authorization Form:
Open the Medical Authorization Form using the download link below.
- Once the form is filled out, there are two options for delivery to the Prosecutor’s Office:
- Click the Print button at the top of the form and print the form. Sign the printed form and deliver to the Prosecutor’s Office.
- Email the form: save a copy of the filled out form by clicking the save button on the Adobe Reader toolbar in your browser. Attach the saved document to an email and send to your Victim Witness Coordinator. You must visit the Prosecutor’s office to sign the form.
Victim-Witness Unit – Crime Victim’s Rights
In 1994, the citizens of the State of Idaho passed a Crime Victim’s Rights Constitutional Amendment. This Amendment gives victims 10 specific rights as they move through the criminal justice process:
To be treated with fairness, respect, dignity and privacy throughout the criminal justice process;
- Permitted to be present at all criminal justice proceedings;
- Entitled to a timely disposition of the case;
- Given prior notification of trial court, appellate and parole proceedings and, upon request, to information about the sentence, incarceration or release of the defendant;
- Heard, upon request, at all criminal justice proceedings considering a plea of guilty, sentencing, incarceration or release of the defendant unless manifest injustice would result;
- To be informed of a possible plea agreement by the prosecuting attorney prior to entry into that agreement in criminal or juvenile offenses involving crimes of violence, sex crimes, or crimes against children;
- Allowed to refuse an interview, ex-parte contact or other request by the defendant or any other person acting in behalf of the defendant, unless such request is authorized by law;
- Consulted by the pre-sentence investigator during the preparation of the pre-sentence report and shall be allowed to read the report prior to the sentence hearing;
- Assured the expeditious return of any stolen or other personal property by law enforcement agencies when no longer needed as evidence;
- Notified whenever the defendant or suspect is released or escapes from custody. (VINE link: https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/siteInfoAction.do?siteId=13000 )
- Victim: An individual who suffers direct or threatened physical, financial, or emotional harm as the result of the commission of a crime or juvenile offense
- Criminal Offense: Any charged felony or a misdemeanor involving physical injury, or the threat of physical injury, or a sexual offense.
- Juvenile Offense: Charged conduct that is a violation of law that brings a juvenile within the purview of Chapter 5, Title 20, Idaho Code, and which conduct committed by a juvenile would be a felony if committed by an adult.
After a complaint is filed the listed victim will receive a Victim’s Rights Notification Form in the mail. The completed form should be returned to:
Canyon County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
1115 Albany Street
Caldwell, Idaho 83605
Want to know if the offender is being released from custody?
Need Assistance for medical treatment or counseling due to a crime?
Please visit the Crime Victim’s Compensation Program website.
Domestic Violence Resources
Victims of Domestic Violence can obtain help by contacting one of the following service providers:
- Caldwell – 459-4779 (Hope’s Door)
- Nampa – 465-5011 (Valley Crisis Center)
- Boise – 343-7025 (Women and Children’s Center)
- Ontario – (541) 889-2000 (Project D.OV.E.)
- Teen Dating Violence Hotline 1-866-331-9474
- Statewide – 1-800-669-3176 (Idaho State Domestic Violence Hotline)
- National – 1-800-799-7233 (National Domestic Violence Hotline)
Domestic Violence Links
Drunk Driving Victim Resources
Mothers Against Drunk Driving – (800) 680-6233 or (208) 853-3700
Grief Resources/Support Groups
Office: 454-7391 // Fax: 454-7474
– Denise Himes (Unit Supervisor)
– Jackie Smith
– Sheri Hale
– Christina Garcia (Spanish speaking)
– Celena Romo
– Kaylee Arnett
-Deana Martinez (Spanish speaking)
Quick Links (links below are external )