Warrants Unit

Arrest Warrants are not issued by the Sheriff’s Office. They are issued solely by the courts. The Warrants Unit of the Sheriff’s Office receives these warrants for entry into various local and national Law Enforcement data base systems, based on the information given to us by the courts. We then make every attempt to verify the information, i.e.; date of birth, hair color, eye color, tattoos, etc, to ensure it is entered into the system under the correct subject. When a warrant is served and the offender is taken into custody by a law enforcement officer, a copy of the warrant is sent to the arresting agency to be read to the offender. Once our office verifies the agency has received their copy, the original warrant, signed by the judge, is then returned to the courts.

The Warrants Unit members receive and process approximately 400 new warrants each month and maintain approximately 7,000 Wanted Persons files. These files are updated and maintained in accordance with FBI guidelines.

When requesting a CPOR (Civil Protection Order), please have all contact information for you and the person you want protection from with you. This would include:

    • complete names;
    • addresses (home & work);
    • phone numbers; AND
    • court case numbers, if applicable.

Please understand, that the more complete the information you give us, only helps us to protect you better. We can’t find people and serve them if we don’t have correct addresses, phone numbers or birthdates.

A few common sense rules to know and follow concerning protection orders:

No Contact means NO CONTACT. Plain and simple. Don’t try to see the victim. Don’t try to contact or talk to the victim through somebody else. (This would be 3rd Party contact and is not allowed.)

No matter how much the victim calls you, tells you it’s ok to go visit them, invites you in, ect, DON’T DO IT! You will be arrested if caught. Law Enforcement won’t care that you were invited in. Just stay away from the victim completely, no matter what!

Protection Order violations need to be reported to the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency where the violation occurred. If it happens with in city limits, go to the nearest Police station. If it happens outside of city limits, go to the Sheriff’s Office.

Please try and report any violations that may occur as soon as possible.

Take any evidence you may have with you when making your report.

Do I get a “Civil Standby” to get my things?
It depends on what kind of protection order you have or what the judge has ordered. NCO’s (No Contact Orders) are automatically given a one-time Civil Standby. It say’s so in the body of the order. It also tells you how to arrange this by calling into Dispatch and making arrangements through them. If you find you need to more than that, than you will have to go back to court and request another Civil Stand By from the judge. You get 15 minutes to remove items and tools necessary for employment and personal belongings.

Note: CPOR’s (Civil Protection Orders) do not automatically come with a Civil Stand By. You have to request one from the judge when you go before him.

How do I cancel/dismiss my Civil Protection Order?
Only a Judge can do this. You must request it in writing just like a modification and wait to hear if the Judge grants your request. Often Judges will not dismiss a temporary order until the hearing date that was set when you received your initial order.

How do I get a Civil Protection Order?
An application for a Civil Protection Order must be filled out and turned in to the civil clerk counter on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse in Caldwell no later than 11:30 Monday-Friday. You will need to provide the Court with as much information as possible in regards to the parties involved (i.e. full names, date of birth, current living and working addresses) because once the Judge issues a temporary Protection Order the Sheriff’s Office must serve the other party a copy of the order for the document to be in effect and enforceable by law. You will be instructed to return the same day at 1:45 to see a Judge at which time he will determine if your request meets the criteria for a Civil Protection Order.

How will I know when the other party is served their copy of the order?
Ask the Deputy when you are served your copy to make a note of your request and our office will call you once the order is served OR you can call into our office and ask. Contact our Dispatch Center (454-7531) if it is after hours or on the weekend.

I have a Protection Order from another county or state that needs to be served. Can you help me?
Yes. If it is an order issued in the state of Idaho and you provided the court with an address within our county they will send it directly to us to get the other party served. If your order is issued in another state then it is your responsibility to get us a certified copy for service. You will also need to provide us with the address of the court that needs to receive the Return of Service. There is not a charge for serving Civil Protection Orders.

I was granted temporary custody of children and the other party has them, now what?
It is very important that you make sure the Judge is aware of this while you are in court so your order will reflect that law enforcement can assist you in getting the children back into your custody. Once you are given your copy of the temporary order after court you need to go to the Sheriff Records Counter on the 1st floor of the Courthouse to make arrangement through our department to retrieve the protected children and serve the other party.

What do I do if the other party violates the order once served?
It is important that you report the violation to law enforcement. You need to report the violation to the agency where the violation occurred.

Example: if you live in Nampa City limits and that is where the violation occurred then you would call Nampa Police Department. If the violation occurred at your work and you worked in Ada County then you would make the report through Ada County.

What happens if the other party doesn’t get served or show up for court?
As long as you show up and attend the mandatory orientation class the Judge can Re-issue the temporary order allowing us more time to find and serve the other party if the temporary order was never served. If the other party was served and doesn’t come to court, the Judge can proceed with issuing a permanent order.

What if I have an NCO/CPOR with the person I have children with and I want to see my kids? Or what if I have business or household budget problems that need to be dealt with? How can I do any of this without contact?
You will have to go back to court and explain to the judge your situation. If the judge feels it’s appropriate or needed, he/she will modify or amend the order to allow for certain things. Be very specific about what you need.

What if something needs to be changed on the Protection Order before the next court date?
For Example: Mistakes, missed information, address changes

Either party can go to the civil clerk counter on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse and request a modification of the Civil Protection Order. Do not assume because you request a change that the Judge will grant it. Both parties will be served by law enforcement when a Judge modifies an order. You can call our office to follow up on the status of any such requests.

What is a Civil Stand By? How do I get my belongings back?
Often parties involved are living together when a CPO is issued. A Civil Stand By is a court order allowing law enforcement to assist you (or the other party involved) in picking up necessary belongings. If either party is granted a Civil Stand By on the Civil Protection Order they need to contact Dispatch to arrange an Officer to meet with them. A Civil Stand By does not give them permission to go on their own and retrieve their belongings.

What is the difference between a Civil Protection Order and a No Contact Order?
A Civil Protection Order is a court ordered document requested by an individual. It’s purpose is to protect them (or minors involved) from a domestic violence situation where they are mentally and/or physically fearful for their safety. A No Contact Order is issued by a Judge after someone has already been charged with a criminal offense.

What is the difference between a NCO and a CPOR?
An NCO is ordered by the judge in court and the victim has no say in it. A CPOR is requested by the victim from a judge.

Can a Bond Company bail me out?
Yes, you can call the bond company ahead of time and have them meet you at the jail.

Can I bond myself out?
Yes, just take the correct of amount of cash and make sure you have the correct change. A family member or friend will need to hold your money and pay your bond for you. But please remember to turn your bond money over to family or friends ahead of time, jail personnel will lock up all your valuables for safe keeping.

Can I turn myself into the jail or a Deputy?
Yes you can. We encourage people to turn themselves in, preferably between 6-7 am on weekdays so that you can see the Judge the day you turn yourself in. And don’t forget, the court is closed on weekends and holidays.

Can you recommend a Bond Company?
No, sorry we can’t do that, but we do have a phone book for you to use.

How do I find out if I have a warrant?
Please check out the Idaho Repository Website at www.idcourts.us . You will need the first & last name, and the date of birth of the person you are trying to look up in order to find any information. When prompted to choose between the cases with no history and the cases with ROA’s, choose the cases with the ROA’s. You must read through the case histories to see if there was a warrant issued.

How do I find out if some I know has a warrant? (this includes spouses/ex-spouses/boyfriend-girlfriend/friends or neighbors)
First check the Canyon County Web Site or call our office at 208-454-7273. Again, you must be able to give us the person’s name and date of birth. Without that information we cannot help you.

How long do I have to wait before I get to see a Judge or go to court?
• Arraignments for in custody juveniles (anyone 17 and younger) are at 11:00am
• Arraignments for in custody adults (anyone 18 or older) are at 1:30.

Please note: If booked into jail on Monday – Thursday you would be able to see the Judge that day or the day after. If booked in on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you won’t see the judge until Monday. If Monday is a holiday, then you will see the judge on Tuesday.

If there is a warrant for my arrest, do I have to go to Jail?
Yes, once a warrant is issued, you must be booked into the jail.


1115 Albany St Rm.137
Caldwell, ID 83605

Phone / Fax

P 208-454-7273
F 208-453-4835



Weekdays 8am – 5pm
(excluding holidays)


Non-Emergency Dispatch




ATTORNEYS: If you have a client in custody within our facility and would like your calls to or from your client to be without charge and protected from recording and or monitoring please contact classifications at 208-455-5977.